State Dept Issues Amended Policy Guidelines on Passport Sex Marker Changes

SignatureJanuary 28, 2011 - In response to concerns raised by TLDEF and other organizations and individuals, the U.S. State Department today published amended policy guidelines for changing the sex marker on passports.

Among other things, the new policy guidelines:

  • allow you to submit a doctor's letter from any licensed doctor, eliminating the burdensome physician specialty requirements;

  • allow you to submit a letter from a doctor who has either treated you for "gender-related care" or who has reviewed and evaluated your "gender-related medical history"; and

  • allow passport holders to change their passport's sex marker by presenting an updated birth certificate instead of a doctor's letter.

We've only described a few of the highlights of the new guidelines here, but there's much more.  Please read our comprehensive web-based guide to the updated policy.  We are also available to answer any questions that you may have.  If you need additional assistance, please contact us.

We are pleased to bring you this news and will continue to update you on any additional changes to these State Department policies and procedures.