Happy New Year!
Happy New Year! What a year TLDEF has had! We accomplished so much in 2014, and we could not have done it without supporters like you.
Here are just a few highlights from the past year:
- The Name Change Project expanded to Chicago, Houston, Detroit, Pittsburgh and other cities, helping hundreds of community members around the country match their legal identities to their lived experience.
- The New York City Department of Education, which runs the nation’s largest school district, issued guidelines on how to meet the needs of transgender students in city schools.
- We won lifetime pension benefits for the widow of a transgender man after his employer denied the claim on the grounds that their marriage was void because he was transgender.
- New York City created a municipal ID program – the first in the nation to allow individuals to designate their sex on ID.
- We filed suit on behalf of a transgender man denied use of the men’s locker room at a public pool.
- New York City and New York State removed discriminatory surgical requirements for transgender people seeking to align their birth certificates with their true selves.
- We filed suit against the South Carolina DMV on behalf of a transgender teen who was forced to remove her makeup for a driver’s license photo.
- And New York State moved to require insurance coverage for transgender health care in private insurance and Medicaid.
Somewhere in there, we managed to move into great new offices and to expand our staff. It’s been quite a year!
But there is still a lot of work to do and we need your support to keep winning.
It’s not too late for an end-of-year gift! Your donation of $25, $50, $500 or even $1,000 supports our work for equal rights. Every gift helps.
Thank you again for making 2014 so successful. Everyone here at TLDEF wishes you a happy and healthy new year!