Correcting the Sex designation on Your Birth Certificate

North Carolina SealFollowing the recent passage of HB2 in North Carolina, we are posting these instructions.  They are especially important for people who live in North Carolina and who want to correct the sex designation on their North Carolina birth certificates. If you live in North Carolina but have a birth certificate from another state, please contact us.  We can provide information to you about correcting the sex designation on any state's birth certificate.

To change the sex designation on a North Carolina birth certificate you will need:

  • A notarized statement by your physician certifying that you have undergone sex reassignment surgery;
  • A written request using the Request to Amend a Record form asking that the gender be changed on the basis that you’ve undergone sex reassignment surgery. Make sure to include your contact information on your request; and
  • A $24 search fee and $15 fee for a certified copy of the certificate. If you’d like the process expedited, there is an additional fee of $15 and you should write “expedite” on the envelope and “expedited fee enclosed” on the form.

Mail your application materials to:

North Carolina Vital Records
1903 Mail Service Center
Raleigh, NC 27699-1903

Note: North Carolina will issue a new birth certificate reflecting the corrected sex designation rather than amend the old one.

For further information, visit the North Carolina Department of Health and Human Services website or contact us.

The statute governing sex designation changes on birth certificates is North Carolina General Statutes § 130A-118.