How do I obtain a passport?



If you are applying for a passport for the first time, you will need the following:

1.  Passport Application Form DS-11 (do not sign the form until instructed to do so). If you have previously applied for a passport, the online program will generate the wrong form. Either get the paper DS-11 form from the post office or print out the PDF;

2.  Evidence of U.S. Citizenship.  You may provide one of the following:

  • Certified birth certificate issued by city, county or state when born in U.S.;
  • Consular Report of Birth Abroad;

  • Naturalization Certificate; or

  • Certificate of Citizenship;
3.  Identification.  You may provide one of the following:

  • Naturalization certificate;

  • Valid driver's license;

  • Current government ID (city, state or federal); or

  • Current military ID (military and dependents);

4.  Photocopy of the identification document presented.  Use only plain white, 8 1/2 x 11" standard paper stock, and include photocopies of both sides of the identification document.  The photocopy must only have images on one side of the paper.  Use more than one piece of paper if necessary;

5.  Fees (generally $135 in total for a Passport Book, $55 in total for a Passport Card; see detailed listing: Passport Fees);

6.  A photograph, 2 x 2 inches in size (see: Photo Requirements); and

7.  A letter from a licensed physician who has treated you "for gender-related care" or reviewed and evaluated your "gender-related medical history" stating that you have had “appropriate clinical treatment for gender transition” (see model letter). The letter must be on office letterhead.  Note: if you have already corrected the sex designation on your birth certificate, a doctor’s letter is not necessary.

8. Name change: If you have either have a passport under your old name or if any of the documents you are submitting are under your old name, include a certified copy of your name change order. It will be returned to you with your new passport.

All applicants who are changing the gender marker are required to apply in person at a Passport Acceptance Facility. Many post offices, public libraries, and other government facilities accept passport applications. Find one in your area: Passport Agencies.

For more detailed information, please visit the Department of State website.

NextHow do I obtain my birth certificate?

PreviousWhat is the difference between a Passport Book and a Passport Card?

- Return to Contents -