What if my doctor will not certify that I have had "appropriate clinical treatment for gender transition?"

Share |

SignatureIf your doctor is not willing to certify that you have undergone appropriate clinical treatment for gender transition, and you are unable to see a different doctor, you may wish to apply for a two-year limited validity passport instead. It is fully valid, but simply expires after two years.

To obtain this limited passport, a doctor need only certify that you are "in the process of gender transition to the new gender (specify either male or female)" rather than stating that you've had appropriate clinical treatment for gender transition.  A limited duration passport can be extended to the full ten-year validity passport with no additional fee by submitting Form DS-5504 within two years of the passport issue date.

NextWhat if my appearance will be changing?

PreviousWhat must my doctor's letter include?

- Return to Contents -