What if my sex has not been changed on my evidence of U.S. citizenship (birth certificate) or identifying document (state ID, driver’s license)?

Share |


Although evidence of U.S. citizenship and an identifying document is required for applications for new passports, those documents do not have to reflect your current sex. The new policy allows for your physician to certify that you have had appropriate clinical treatment for gender transition for your new sex. The sex on your passport will reflect the sex stated in your doctor’s letter, not your old documents. You do not have to change the sex designation on your birth certificate, state ID or other identifying documents before applying for a passport. The ID you present with your application must, however, accurately reflect your current appearance.

If you have changed the sex on your birth certificate, you will not need a letter from a doctor to apply for or renew a passport.

NextWhat if I already have a valid passport, but want to correct the name or sex designation on it?

PreviousWhat if my appearance will be changing?

- Return to Contents -